Chunky Hamburger Soup
Chunky Hamburger Soup – A hearty meat, potatoes, and vegetable soup simmered to perfection that is pure comfort.
- 2 pounds ground turkey (or beef)
- 2– 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 pound baby carrots, sliced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 – 7 cups low sodium chicken broth
- Salt & fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Granulated garlic (to taste)
- 6 medium-sized potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen cut green beans
- In a dutch oven, heat olive oil.
- Add ground turkey. Season with salt, fresh ground black pepper, and granulated garlic.
- Saute until the meat is about 80% done. Drain and put into a bowl. Set aside.
- In the dutch oven, drizzle in some additional olive oil.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add the carrots. Saute until slightly softened.
- Add the celery and green bell pepper. Saute until slightly tender.
- Add the minced garlic. Saute for approximately 2 – 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato paste and fresh thyme. Saute a few minutes to bloom the flavor. Then, add the bay leaves.
- Return the meat back to the dutch oven.
- Add the chicken broth. Heat over medium high heat until it begins to boil. Then, lower the heat to a simmer and cover. Simmer approximately 20 minutes.
- Add the potatoes. Return the cover to the pot and simmer until the potatoes are able halfway to firm fork tender.
- Add the green beans. Simmer until the green beans are heated and the potatoes are firm fork tender.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste. You can add salt, fresh ground black pepper, or any spice blend according to your preference.
- Once the soup is ready, ladle it into bowls and serve hot with a roll or piece of baguette.
Enjoy your chunky hamburger soup with a hearty combination of vegetables and ground turkey!