Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
Bacon Cheeseburger Soup – Cooked in a cast iron dutch oven, this soup is perfect for a cold weather meal. It is warm and comforting!
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into bits
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 rib celery, chopped
- 2 – 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups baby potatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded from a block
- Chives or green onions for garnish
- In a dutch oven, cook the bacon bits until crispy. Drain on a plate lined with a peper towel. Set aside.
- Remove some of the bacon drippings from the dutch oven. Add the ground beef. Cook until lightly brown. Remove to a bowl, cover, and set aside.
- In the dutch oven, add butter and olive oil. Add onions and saute until sightly softened.
- Add the carrot and celery. Saute until tender.
- Add the flour and saute until the raw is cooked off.
- Add the beef back into the dutch oven along with the potatoes and the chicken broth. Simmer until the potatoes are softened but not totally tender.
- Add the cheese and the half and half. It is best to shred the cheddar cheese from a block instead of using packaged shredded cheddar cheese. Packaged shredded cheese may not melt the same way as cheese from a block.
- Cook until potatoes are tender and the soup becomes thickened.
- Service topped with bacon and chives or green onion.
Connect with Amy