Basic Chicken Brine
Basic Chicken Brine – The bedrock of a juicy and tender chicken. Can be used for both a whole chicken or parts.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (or 1/4 cup table salt)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 – 6 cups ice
- Heat water in the microwave for about 2 minutes.
- Add salt and sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- Add 3 cups ice and stir. Allow to completely cool.
- Add the brine to a large zip top bag (one that is big enough for the chicken and the water) or use a stockpot.
- Add more ice and cool until below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the bag into a large bowl. Add the chicken into the bag (or into the stockpot if that is what you are using).
- Place it into the refrigerator and brine for 4 hours. If you have chicken parts, brine for 2 hours.
- When it is done, remove the chicken and rinse to remove the brine.
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel.
- If you have time, put the chicken on a plate and place it in the refrigerator uncovered to air dry.