Bread Machine Pretzel Bites with Cheese Sauce
Bread Machine Pretzel Bites with Cheese Sauce – Soft and chewy party snack served with a creamy cheddar sauce.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup warm water, 110 degrees
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 egg (with a splash of water)
- Course salt (to taste)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream (or milk)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For Cinnamon Pretzel Bites
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (to taste)
- In the pan of your bread machine, add the 2 tablespoons melted butter, water, brown sugar, salt, flour, and yeast in the order recommended by the manual of your bread machine.
- Program the machine to the dough cycle.
- Start the cycle and allow the machine to prepare the dough.
- When the cycle is complete, remove the dough from the pan onto a cutting board.
- Separate the dough into 4 pieces.
- Roll each piece into a 20″ log. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- In a saucepan, heat water to a simmer. Add the baking soda.
- Dip the pretzel bites into the water for about 30 seconds. Work in small batches so the dough is not in the water too long.
- Remove the dough onto a greased sheet pan.
- Allow to cool for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg and a splash of water to make an egg wash.
- Brush each pretzel bite with the egg wash. Sprinkle with coarse salt (if desired).
- Bake for approximately 16 minutes. Flip the pretzel bites and rotate the pans about 9 – 10 minutes into the cook to brown on all sides.
- When the pretzel bites are done, remove from the oven. Remove to platter and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve with Amy’s Cheese Sauce. You can also brush some with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Amy’s Cheese Sauce
- In a small sauce pan over medium-low heat, add butter. Allow to melt.
- Sprinkle in the flour. Cook the roux a few minutes while whisking. Do not brown. It should be a blond roux.
- Add the heavy cream and cheese.
- Stir over medium-low until the cheese is melted and the sauce is thickened.
- Remove to a bowl.
- Serve with your pretzel bites!