Chicken and Green Chile Stew
Chicken and Green Chile Stew – This stew is thicker than a soup but not as thick as a chili. It has a little kick from the jalapeno and green chile.
- Category: Soups & Stews
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 2 cans fire roasted green chilies
- 1 – 4 finely diced jalapeno
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 tomatillo, chopped into 1” pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 2 cans fire roasted green chilies, 7 ounces each
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 2 cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- In a stockpot or dutch oven, heat olive oil and add the onions. Cook until translucent.
- Add tomatillos and cook 2 minutes.
- Add jalapenos and cook it for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle chili powder, cumin, chipotle powder and Mexican oregano. Cook for 1-2 minutes to bloom spices.
- Add in chicken broth, chopped or shredded cooked chicken, fire roasted green chilies, and pinto beans. Stir to combine.
- Cook the stew at least 2 hours or until flavors develop and stew thickens.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!