Chicken Chimichanga – A tortilla stuffed with a chicken filling and deep fried until golden brown. Topped with guacamole.
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cooked chicken, meat removed and chopped or pulled
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 7 oz can fire roasted chilies
- 1 can pinto beans
- 1 large can enchilada sauce
- Fajita seasoning to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 6 – 8 large flour tortillas
- 1 – 2 cups Mexican cheese blend (if desired)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In a saute pan over medium heat, add olive oil and onion. Cook until translucent. Add chicken, Rotel, fire roasted chilies, pinto beans, and enchilada sauce. Stir to combine and heat through. Season with fajita seasoning to taste. Add cilantro and stir.
- Microwave the tortillas for 20 – 30 seconds to soften. Place the tortilla on a plate or cutting board. Add filling and cheese (if desired) and roll tightly into a burrito . Using a saute pan, add approximately 1″ of vegetable oil and heat the oil to 350 degrees. Fry the Chimichanga. Please note: Make sure that the Chimichanga stays closed by using two tongs and hold in the frying oil until it sets to prevent the filling from coming out.
- Drain the Chimichanga on paper towel. Once drained, plate and top with guacamole, sour cream, cheese and/or salsa.