French Onion Soup
French Onion Soup – Vidalia onions make this rich and buttery that will warm your soul! Seasoned with Penzey’s Sunny Paris.
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: French
- 5 cups sweet Vidalia onions, sliced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1½ tablespoons Penzey’s Sunny Paris or to taste
- Cheese for topping soup, if desired
- In a cast iron skillet or sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add a little bit of olive oil to bring up the smoking point of the butter.
- Add the onions. Stir occasionally until the onions caramelize.
- Add little bit of salt to bring sweetness of the onions.
- Add minced garlic and cook 1 – 2 minutes.
- Place onions into a dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Season soup with Penzey’s Sunny Paris or your favorite blend.
- Simmer gently for an hour.
- Adjust seasoning as desired. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Ladle soup into a soup mug.
- If desired, top with cheese and put in the oven or broiler to melt.