Frijoles Charros Cowboy Beans
Frijoles Charros Cowboy Beans – Perfect as a side dish or on tacos, burritos or your favorite Mexican dish. Try with your favorite corn bread!
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 small onions (or 1 large), diced
- 3 Anaheim chiles, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, chopped
- 3 – 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 pound thick cut bacon, cut into bacon bits
- 1 pound pinto beans, soaked overnight to soften
- Water to cover the beans (approximately 4 – 5 cups)
- 1 – 2 tablespoons chili powder, adjusted to taste
- 1 – 2 tablespoons granulated garlic, adjusted to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, adjusted to taste
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano, adjusted to taste
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dash of fresh lime juice
- In a dutch oven, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- In the same pot, add the onion and cook in the bacon fat until translucent. Add the peppers and cook until softened. Add the garlic and cook 1 – 2 minutes.
- When the vegetables are softened, add the pinto beans. tomatoes, water, and bacon.
- Season with chili powder, granulated garlic, ground cumin, Mexican oregano, salt & pepper. Cook until it reduces and turns into a thick bean gravy. This might take several hours. Adjust seasonings as desired. Add cilantro 1/2 hour before the beans are done.
- When the beans are done, flavor with a dash of fresh lime juice to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!