Garlic and Herb Dutch Oven Bread
Garlic and Herb Dutch Oven Bread – Delicious & crusty loaf of bread that is soft on the inside and full of garlic flavor. Made in a dutch oven.
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups water, 110 degrees
- 1 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 head of roasted garlic
- In the bowl of your stand mixer with the dough hook attached, add bread flour, salt (on one side), active dry yeast (on the other side). Turn on the mixer and add the water.
- Knead for 5 – 10 minutes. You might have to adjust the water depending on the dryness of your flour or the humidity in your house.
- Turn of the mixer and add the thyme and roasted garlic. Continue kneading until the dough is developed.
- Flour a work surface and remove the dough. Knead and shape into a ball. Put the dough in the bowl of the mixer and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise 2 – 4 hours until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down and remove from the bowl onto your floured work surface. Shape into a round boule. Put the dough into a round enameled cast iron dutch oven that has been lightly oiled with olive oil. Put dough in top side up and then flip to coat with oil. Slash bread to help with the rise. Cover with the lid and allow to rise for at least an hour. Remove the cover and brush dough lightly with olive oil.
- Cover the dutch oven and bake at 450 degrees for 30 minutes. Then take the lid off and lower the oven to 375 degrees and finish cooking until it is golden brown and is hollow when thumped. Remove from the dutch oven onto a wire rack and allow to cool.