Herb Roasted Turkey Breast with Pan Gravy
Herb Roasted Turkey Breast with Pan Gravy – Aromatic vegetables a flavorful compound butter results in a moist & tender turkey breast and savory pan gravy.
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: American
- Whole turkey breast, thawed
- 1 stick butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh finely chopped sage
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped
- 2 onions, sliced into thick moons
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks.
- 4 stalks celery, cut into large chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and kept whole
- 1 orange, quartered
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 heaping tablespoon AP flour or cornstarch
For the roasted turkey breast:
- Remove the turkey from the packaging. Removing the neck and giblets and set aside for stock or discard.
- Brine the turkey in a classic salt water solution, if desired.
- Rinse the turkey and pat dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the butter, ground sage, thyme, and parsley. Set aside.
- In a roasting pan, place onions on the bottom as a support for the turkey.
- Add carrots & celery, garlic, and orange. Season with pepper to taste.
- Put the turkey breast side up on the vegetables.
- Using your fingers, make pockets between the skin and the meat.
- Coat the meat under the skin with the butter.
- Pour 1 cup of the chicken broth into the roasting pan over the vegetables resulting in about 1/4 inch liquid for the vegetables.
- Insert the probe of a wireless thermometer in the thickest part of the breast, if desired. You can use a regular thermometer as the turkey cooks if you do not have a wireless one.
- Bake at 350 degrees for approximately 1 – 1/2 hours until it reaches at least 165 degrees.
- Remove the turkey and tent it. Let is rest for 15 minutes.
- Remove turkey to a cutting board and carve.
For the pan gravy:
- Strain the juice into a fat separator. Allow the fat to come to the top.
- Pour the liquid back into the roasting pan.
- Add the flour to the remaining 1 1/2 cup chicken broth.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pan drippings in the roasting pan.
- Heat over medium heat. Slowly stir until it thickens.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate several slices of turkey and top with pan gravy.
- Plate and serve.