Homemade Chicken and Dumplings
Homemade Chicken and Dumplings – Classic comfort food made with drop style herb dumplings and tender roasted chicken.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 heaping tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 – 4 cups cooked chicken, cubed or pulled
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup + a few tablespoons milk (I use almond milk)
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- Dash chopped parsley
- In a dutch oven over medium heat, melt the butter and add the olive oil.
- Add onions. Saute until translucent.
- Add carrots. Saute until the carrots start to soften.
- Add celery. Saute until softened.
- Then add the mushrooms. Saute until they begin to soften.
- Add 3 heaping tablespoons of flour. Stir and saute a few minutes to cook off the raw flour taste.
- Add the garlic and thyme. Saute a few minutes to bloom their flavor.
- Pour in the chicken stock and add the bay leaves. Stir to combine until the flour dissolves and is not lumpy.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat approximately 30 minutes or until the vegetables are almost tender and the broth starts to thicken. You can remove the lid about 2/3 of the way through the cook if needed.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the melted butter, milk, thyme, and parsley to the flour mixture.
- Stir until moistened. You might have to add a few more tablespoons of milk if needed. It will be a pretty stiff dough.
- When the soup is thickened, drop the dumplings into the dutch oven by the spoonful. They will float on the top.
- Cover and simmer for approximately 20 – 30 minutes or until the dumplings are done.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.