Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream – Homemade rich and chocolatey ice cream. Perfect treat for a hot summer day.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 1 cup of sugar, divided
- Pinch of salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- Chill the bowl of your ice cream maker overnight.
- In a saucepan, add whole milk, heavy cream, vanilla, half of the sugar, and salt. Heat the mixture over medium heat just below the boiling point while whisking.
- In a separate bowl, add the egg yolks.
- Beat the egg yolks with 1/2 of the sugar with a hand mixer until it is creamy and light in color.
- Slowly temper the egg yolks with a few ladles of the hot liquid.
- Once the egg yolks have been tempered, slowly add to the saucepan of hot cream while whisking.
- Cook on medium low until it thickens. It will coat the back of a spoon.
- In a medium bowl with the chocolate, strain the liquid into the bowl. Whisk until the chocolate is melted.
- Place the chocolate custard into the refrigerator at least an hour until it is completely chilled.
- Transfer the custard into a Pyrex or bowl with a spout.
- Pour the custard into the bowl of an ice cream maker.
- Churn in the ice cream maker about 20 minutes.
- Ice cream will be soft. To harden, freeze for several hours.
- Makes 1 quart. Double the recipe if desired.