Homemade Cinnamon Applesauce
Homemade Cinnamon Applesauce – Made from McIntosh apples that are cooked down in a cast iron dutch oven with apple cider, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sugar. This applesauce will become a family favorite.
- 15 small McIntosh apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 5 ounces sugar (to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Peel, core, and slice the apples. Sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Cover the bottom of the dutch oven with apple cider.
- Add apples and cinnamon.
- Bring to a simmer, cover, and cook for approximately 15 minutes until softened. If they are not broken down, mash with a potato masher to your desired texture.
- Add sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Cook an additional 10 minutes or so until it is broken down. Mash again as desired.
- Adjust sweetness or spice to your taste. Add pinch of salt and combine.
- Remove to a bowl and allow to cool. When it is cool, refrigerate at least an hour.
- Serve and enjoy!