Homemade French Vanilla Ice Cream
Homemade French Vanilla Ice Cream – Rich and creamy custard based ice cream with tons of vanilla flavor. A perfect summer treat!
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 5 egg yolks
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add milk, heavy cream, sugar, kosher salt, and vanilla.
- Whisk and heat slowly to just below the boiling point.
- Put the egg yolks into a small bowl.
- Once the milk is heated, temper the yolks with some of the milk mixture. Slowly add 1 cup of the hot milk into the egg yolks while whisking constantly. Once it is tempered, add it back into the hot milk while constantly whisking.
- Continuously whisk for approximately 8 minutes or until the custard is thickened. Keep it just under a boil to prevent burning.
- Strain the custard into a large mixing bowl.
- Allow the custard to cool. Cover with plastic wrap touching the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight to completely chill.
- Once the custard is chilled, put it into an ice cream maker while the machine is running.
- Allow it to freeze.
- Once it is finished, remove the ice cream into a container with a lid.
- Enjoy the ice cream as soft serve or freeze for at least 1 hour.