Hot Buttered Rum Sauce
Hot Buttered Rum Sauce – Sweet and warm rum sauce that is great over ice cream, milkshakes, pie, or your favorite dessert.
- Cuisine: Sauce
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a medium saute pan, add water. While the water is still cold, add sugar in a pile in the middle of the pan. Do not get the sugar on the sides of the pan because it will crystallize and ruin the consistency of the sauce.
- In another sauce pan, add heavy whipping cream and heat (do not boil)
- Using a candy thermometer or Thermapen, heat to a maximum 300 – 350 degrees until golden brown. Don’t overheat or it will burn. The sugar will start to brown around 300 degrees. When desired brownness occurs, remove from heat.
- Temper the sugar syrup with a little cream.It will foam so be careful. Then put in the rest of the cream and stir. You can add flavoring at this point like vanilla, rum, butter etc.
- Allow to cool. Pour over ice cream, custard, apple pie, etc. Enjoy!