How to Make Pastry Cream – Classic recipe for thick and creamy Creme Patissiere used to fill cakes, danish, cream puffs, pies, and pastries.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean)
- 5 egg yolks
- 4 ounces sugar
- 1 ounce cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons butter
- In a saucepan, add milk and vanilla. Heat until just before the boiling point, stirring occasionally. (If you are using the All-Clad Prep & Cook, heat the milk on the Sauce cycle at 200 degrees for about 3 – 4 minutes).
- In a separate bowl, combine sugar, eggs, and cornstarch. Stir until dissolved.
- Pour the sugar and egg mixture into the hot milk.
- Stir constantly for several minutes until thick. (If you are using the Prep & Cook, stir on the Sauce cycle at 200 degrees for about 2 – 3 minutes until thick).
- Remove from heat and pour into a bowl.
- Immediately add the butter and stir until melted. The pastry cream will be thick, smooth, and a little shiny.
- Cool and use to fill cakes, danish, cream puffs, pies, and pastries.
- If you want to refrigerate the pastry cream, cover with plastic wrap. Lightly press the plastic wrap so it touches the surface to prevent a skin from forming.