Italian Stuffed Zucchini
Italian Stuffed Zucchini – Stuffed zucchini made in the oven, grill, BBQ, or smoker. These are great as either a main or side dish. Enjoy!
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 oounce mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey, chicken, or beef
- 1/2 jar pasta sauce
- 1 tablespoon or to taste of Italian seasoning (I prefer Penzey’s Tuscan Sunset)
- 3 –4 medium zucchini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- Shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano and Romano cheese for topping, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a saute pan or cast iron skillet, saute onions and mushrooms over medium heat until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms are softened. Add garlic and saute 1 – 2 minutes. Add ground meat (turkey, chicken, or beef) and cook until the meat is done. Drain any extra grease.
- Add pasta sauce to the meat mixture and moisten the meat without making it too saucy. Add Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Cook a few minutes until heated through and spices are incorporated.
- Wash and cut the zucchini lengthwise into halves. Scoop a trench into each zucchini making sure not to scoop all the way to the bottom. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fill the zucchini halves with the filling. Drizzle a little olive oil over the stuffed zucchini to moisten.
- Bake 20 – 30 minutes. 10 minutes before the zucchini are done, top with a little cheese.