Orecchiette with Sausage and Spinach
Orecchiette with Sausage and Spinach – A delicious pasta recipe from southern Italy. Sausage, tomatoes, onions, and garlic combine to make a tasty dish!
- 1 pound package sweet or spicy Italian sausage links (about 5 links)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- Olive oil
- 1 pound orecchiette pasta
- 1/2 bag spinach (approximately 5 ounces)
- 1/4 stick of butter, cut into tablespoons
- Granulated garlic (to taste)
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- Prepare the Italian sausage by removing the casings and cutting into small chunks.
- In a large saute or everyday pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the Italian sausage and cook until done. Drain and remove from the pan into a bowl. Set aside.
- While the sausage is cooking, fill a stockpot approximately 2/3 full of water.
- Heat over high heat until it comes to a rolling boil.
- Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, add the onion into the saute pan heated over medium heat.
- Cook the onion until it is translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 – 2 minutes. If the pasta isn’t done, remove from the heat.
- When the pasta is done, bring the saute pan back over medium low heat.
- Drain the pasta and add it to the saute pan.
- Combine and add in the spinach. Cook slowly and the spinach will wilt down.
- Return the meat to the saute pan and stir to combine.
- Add butter to the saute pan. Season the dish with granulated garlic, salt, fresh ground black pepper, and red pepper flakes (to taste). Adjusting the seasoning can really bring up the flavor of the dish.
- Add the grape tomatoes just before serving to preserve their structure and freshness.
- Plate the pasta and grate Parmesan cheese on the top (if desired).