Smoked Beef Tri-Tip
Smoked Beef Tri-Tip – Tender smoked beef that is finished over a screaming hot grill. Cooked to perfection on a WSM Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker.
- 1 Tri-Tip roast (2 – 3 pounds)
- 3 – 4 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Spice blend – 1 part each (or your favorite BBQ Rub):
- Kosher salt (1/2 part if you are sensitive to salt)
- Course ground black pepper
- Granulated onion
- Granulated garlic
- Fire your smoker to 225-250 degrees F.
- Toss in a few chunks of your favorite hardwood, such as oak, hickory, or apple.
- Rub the meat generously with yellow mustard.
- Rub the meat with your spice blend.
- Insert a wireless thermometer into the thickest part of the meat.
- Put the meat on the smoker. Cook to your desired internal temperature. I usually cook it to 135 degrees.
- About 10 minutes before the meat is done, fire your grill. If you want to use a cast iron pan, heat it on your stovetop on high heat.
- When the meat has reached your desired temperature, remove the meat from the smoker and place it over direct heat on the grill.
- Sear each side for 1 to 2 minutes. If you are using a cast iron pan, you can add a small amount of butter and high smoke point oil just before adding the meat.
- After searing, remove the tri-tip to a plate and loosely tent. Allow it to rest for appropriately 15 minutes.
- Once the meat is rested, place on a cutting board and slice it against the grain.
- Make sandwiches or eat with your favorite side dishes.