Southern Green Beans, Ham & Red Potatoes
Southern Green Beans, Ham & Red Potatoes – This is a classic southern dish is braised in a broth that is flavored with smoky ham.
- Category: Main dish
- Cuisine: American
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 small or 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced (to taste)
- 1 pound green beans, washed and trimmed
- 6 – 8 red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut into bacon bits
- 1 chunk of smoked ham bone
- 3 – 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon french thyme
- Pinch cayenne
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- Smoke the ham bone. If it is already cooked, put about 15 minutes of smoke on it to increase the smoky taste.
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon bits and cook until lightly browned.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add celery and cook until a little softened.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Put the smoky ham bone and the chicken broth into the dutch oven. Put the lid on and simmer for 15 minutes to allow the ham bone to flavor the broth.
- Add the spices, bay leaves, and green beans. Cook for approximately 45 minutes until the beans soften.
- After about 45 minutes, add the red potatoes. Add additional chicken broth until the beans and potatoes are just barely covered. Cook for additional 30 minutes.
- When the green beans and potatoes are tender, remove the ham bone and take any meat off of it. Return the meat to the pot.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
- Serve in soup bowls with cornbread.